1/3 Photos of Fresh Pumpkin (Canned, Puree, Frozen)
This is a great way to take a fresh pumpkin and make your own "canned" pumpkin at home. I actually just freeze mine and vacuum seal for long-term storage. Very easy, just takes time. Expecially great if you're worried about preservatives or processed foods. *A 20 pound pumpkin yields about 16 cups of pumpkin puree.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 pumpkin (pie pumpkins taste best, but a carving pumpkin works fine too)
- pumpkin juice, if needed (reserved from cooking process)
- 1Wash the outside of your pumpkin. DO NOT POKE HOLES IN THE PUMPKIN, PLACE IN THE OVEN WHOLE! Take your pumpkin and place in a cake pan in the oven at 300* F until it slumps in (will look rather disgusting at this point). For a big pumpkin, this will take about 3-3.5 hours. Smaller pumpkins will take less time.
- 2After pumpkin has slumped and is very tender to poke with a fork, remove from the oven.
- 3Allow to cool until it is still very warm, but cool enough to handle.
- 4Cut the top of the pumpkin off as you would for a jack-o-lantern.
- 5Scoop out the seeds and "guts" and set aside. Reserve pumpkin juice.
- 6Start a section at a time and cut your pumpkin into pieces. Scoop the cooked pumpkin off the skin and place in the blender on "puree". Puree until it looks like applesauce. If your puree looks drier than apple sauce, add some of the pumpkin juice from the seeding step until it resembles the right consistency.
- 7Place in freezer bags (2 cup aliquots work well) and freeze until time to use. I like to freeze mine in vacuum seal bags and then vacuum seal after frozen for longer storage.
Browse Our Top For Large Groups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Pumpkin (Canned, Puree, Frozen)
Serving Size: 1 (0 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: