1/1 Photo of Fresh Pomegranate Pie
2 hrs 5 mins
Amber W's Note:
There are two kinds of pomegranates. The red kind that we grew up eating and our mothers cursed because of the staining quality, and that are most plentiful in stores. There is another variety that has a yellow/green skin and the seeds are pink rather than red. It takes both kinds to make this pie. I came up with this a couple of years ago when I was craving a fresh fruit pie and fresh berries in November are outrageously expensive. I had picked pomegranates at my cousins house and had found the yellow pomegranates growing on the side of the road in a very rural area. I experimented and took it to a church potluck social. It was the hit of the social, and it satisfied my craving for fresh fruit pie. It is requested everytime I get together with my family for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Deseed the yellow pomegranates and put into a large enough bowl to allow folding.
- 2Make sure to remove any of the white membrane as it is very bitter.
- 3This step is the most time consuming step but it's worth it.
- 4Juice the red pomegranats by cutting them in half and using a citrus juicer, this is messy so make sure do it some place easy to clean and either wear old clothes or an apron.
- 5You want to end up with 2 cups of juice.
- 6Mix the corn starch into the sugar and add to the pomegranate juice cook over a medium heat until it is thickened.
- 7This makes a glaze like for a strawberry or blueberry pie.
- 8Cool the mixture and fold into the bowl of seeds folding gently so as not to break the seeds.
- 9If you bruise the seeds it will make the glaze runny and the filling will not stick together.
- 10Pour glazed seed mixture into the pie or tart shell.
- 11You can serve immediately or refrigerate for a while.
- 12Top with whipped cream and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Pomegranate Pie
Serving Size: 1 (1580 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2524.8
- Calories from Fat 482
- Total Fat 53.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 789.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 511.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 33.7 g
- Sugars 364.2 g
- Protein 22.4 g