This is an variation on a recipe found in The Muffin Lady cookbook. I used plums, because that's what I had, but peaches would be delicious, too. She says to use unripe fruit, as it will ripen up and get sweet during cooking. Also, use sliced fruit rather than chopped, because chopped will tend to "get lost" during baking. These muffins are like a hand held fruit cobbler. So good!
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and slice fruit into 6 slices each.
- Sift the dry ingredients, making a well in the center.
- Pour wet ingredients into the well, and blend by hand.
- (Batter will be thicker than regular muffin batter.) Scoop batter into lightly greased, large 6 muffin pan.
- Insert 2 plum or peach wedges into each muffin.
- (They will be sticking out over the batter. This is ok) Sprinkle muffin tops with cinnamon.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until center of muffins is resistant to touch.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan, then turn out on rack to cool.