Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This moist cake was adapted from a recipe I have for rhubarb cake, so you could substitute rhubarb if you don't have any plums. It's a wonderfully light cake to go with your afternoon tea or coffee.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 plums, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Cream butter and sugars together in a mixing bowl.
- Add applesauce and vanilla, beating until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and add to sugar mixture alternately with milk.
- Stir in plums and walnuts, if desired.
- Spread into a greased 13 x 9 baking pan or a loaf pan and bake at 350 F or 160 C for about 35 minutes (a loaf pan may require slightly longer) or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean.
- Serve as is, or with a dollop of whipped cream on top.
I must have done something wrong. Perhaps my plums were too ripe and I just didn't bake it long enough, even though the toothpick came out clean. It was ghastly but I don't think it was the fault of the recipe so I'm not rating it. Don't use soft plums and bake it a bit long.