The classic pineapple upside down cake made with fresh pineapple. Delicious served with dollops of creme fraiche. (45 min. includes bake time)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- 2Melt the butter. Brush a little bit of the butter on the inside of a 9 inch round cake pan, or a cast iron skillet.
- 3Mix 5 tablespoons of the butter with the dark brown sugar and 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice. Place this mixture in the bottom of the cake pan. Arrange the pineapple rings on the brown sugar mixture in a decorative pattern (be creative). Set pan aside.
- 4Stir together the flour, salt, white sugar, and baking powder.
- 5Separate the eggs. Beat the whites until stiff but not dry.
- 6Beat two of the egg yolks until lemony yellow. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup pineapple juice, vanilla, and remaining melted butter. Add this mixture to the flour mixture. Gently fold in the egg whites. Pour batter over the top of the brown sugar and pineapple rings.
- 7Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes then cover pan tightly with a serving dish and invert so that the pineapple side is up.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.8
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 77.0 mg
- Sodium 281.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 30.7 g
- Protein 3.7 g