Recipe by Countrywife
This is a nice little cake. I have no idea where it came from. I clipped it from somewhere years ago.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large fresh pear
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs, seperated
- 1 cup warm light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon melted shortening
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup ready to eat natural bran
- whipped cream (optional) or ice cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine butter and sugar in 8-inch cake pan.
- Melt butter over low heat and spread evenly over bottom of pan.
- Pare fruit and slice lengthwise.
- Remove core and slice thinly lengthwise.
- Arrange slices in a circle in pan and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Beat egg yolks well.
- Add syrup and beat more.
- Stir in vanilla and melted shortening.
- Sift together and stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in bran.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into batter.
- Spread over pears.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes and turn out onto plate while still very warm.
- Serve with whipped or ice cream (optional).