Recipe by drhousespcatcher
I lucked into a bunch of Morton and Bassett for 99 cents each. So I found this recipe by them. Note do not slouch on the ingredients. Use the best Cardamon [and the freshest] and use only pure extract.
Top Review by Len23
These pears are *fantastic*. I've made them a few times to test-drive some most excellent vanilla that I splurged on. Made them again for a vegan dinner guest, by subbing vegan margarine for the butter. I wouldn't normally do that, but it didn't seem to hurt them any. I cheated and used ground cardamom, though one of these days I will suss out some whole cardamom pods. The very flavourful vanilla I used really covered any lack in flavour that my substitutions might have caused. I like these with a few tsps of vanilla ice cream, but they are excellent alone as well. They seem to cook better if you put two pears per packet, when I did them in singles they were a bit liquidy. Cooking time will be closer to 15-20 minutes if you do this.
- 4 large pears, firm, ripe and peeled cored cut into slices
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 -6 cardamom pods
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 sheets parchment paper (24 inch x 16 inch)
- vegetable oil or Pam cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place sugar and cardamom pods in blender.
- Process until cardamom is finely ground.
- Combine sugar/cardamom mixture with vanilla.
- Fold parchment in half, bringing the two short sides together. Lightly oil [or pam] each piece.
- Divide fruit among the 4 parchments, laying fruit along the crease.
- Divide the sugar/cardamom/vanilla among the parchments.
- Dot each with butter.
- Fold and crimp the edges of the parchment together to seal.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Serve in the packet with ice cream, if you wish.