Recipe by woodland hues
This is a most delicious pie. It's a heritage recipe and I've been using it for the last few summers in using up bumper pear crops. If pears are scarce, you can use canned pears.
Top Review by ejohnchat
Absolutely delicious. Our friends used fresh pears from comice pear tree in our back yard to make this recipe and it was out of this world. Now it is my favorite pie. I like it even better than apple pie that I have loved for almost 60 years.
- 6 -8 fresh pears, peeled, cored, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill pie shell with sliced pears.
- Mix together 1/4 cup of the sugar,the salt, cornstarch, lemon rind, and lemon juice and spread over the pears.
- Mix together remaining sugar, spices and flour and add to butter.
- Stir with a fork until crumbly and sprinkle over pears.
- Bake at 450F for 15 minutes, reducing to 350F to bake about 30 minutes more.