Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
The original recipe is from Dining In The Raw by Rita Romano. Not all the recipes in her book are raw ones, she has some cooked offerings as well. This recipe was originally for apricots, but seeing this is peach season here in the south west, I substituted peaches for the apricots. I also used a square 8x8" dish. instead of the round pie pan. Note: I didn't add the time to soak, skin and pit the peaches in this recipe.
FOR THE FILLING
- 3 cups peaches (skinned and pit removed)
- 1⁄3 cup agave nectar (you could use maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon agar-agar flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind (grated fine)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (I used kuzu powder dissolved in 1/2 cup water)
FOR THE CRUST
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Braggs liquid aminos
- For The Pie Crust:.
- Combine the ground almonds and braggs. Mix for a few minutes to combine and make a dough. Press into the bottom of your pan. You could also use a 10" pie pan if you wish.
- Bake at 350'F for 25-30 minutes. When done, remove and set on a metal rack to cool.
- How To Clean The Peaches:.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and drop the peaches in for a few seconds or until the skins split. Remove the skins.
- Cut enough for 3 cups of peaches and set aside to drain.
- Mix the kuzu with water and stir well so not to have any lumps.
- In a large saucepan combine the agave or maple syrup, the lemon juice, agar flakes and lemon rind. Stir all together and then add the dissolved kuzu until the mixture is thickened.
- Add the reserved peaches and stir gently to combine all the ingredients. Turn off the heat and let sit in the pot for 15 minutes.
- Then, spread the peach mixture over top of the almond/braggs crust and put into the fridge to set up.
- Bon Appetit!