Recipe by R, Richard Daggett
This dish was from my Grandmother's recipe files and has been a family favorite for over a century. She died two months before her 102nd birthday!
Top Review by Citruholic
Grandmother knows best! This is a fantastic recipe. I used some fresh frozen strawberries I had stockpiled in the freezer, mixed with a few blueberries. I added a tsp. of Chinese Five Spice and Cardamom to the batter. Baked it about 15 minutes longer (I did use a round, deep souffle dish), and it was delicious! I am sure peaches and many other types of berries besides the strawberries I used would be wonderful in this. Thanks for a great recipe. It's a keeper!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup flour (sifted)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups fruit
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons white Karo
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add milk and mix with creamed mixture.
- Add flour and baking powder (mixed).
- Spread batter into bottom of square baking pan.
- Mix fruit, remaining sugar and Karo syrup.
- Place on top of batter.
- Pour boiling water (less for berries than for peaches) overall.
- Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes.
- Lower to 375°F and bake for 1/2 hour or until brown.