Recipe by ellie_
Peach Cobbler with lattice crust is delicious served with vanilla ice cream. Adapted from Bon Appetit (July 1984). Prep time does not include peach sitting time (4 hours) or time dough is in refrigerator (1 hour).
Top Review by Hey Jude
Ellie, this was SO good! I followed your instructions exactly, using 9 ripe farmer's market peaches (that weighed out to 3 lbs.). I got a bit nervous after baking the first layer of dough strips because I thought it was too watery, but after putting down the second layer of strips and baking, it thickened up nicely and we had a really nice cobbler! Served with vanilla ice cream and then took a long walk with the dogs. thanks Ellie!
- 3 lbs peaches, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup Crisco or 3⁄4 cup other shortening
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 teaspoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine peaches and 1 1/4 cups sugar in bowl.
- Let stand for at least 4 hours.
- To make pastry: combine flour and salt in bowl.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add in enough ice-cold water until dough holds together.
- Gather into ball and divide in half.
- Refrigerate dough until needed or at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Grease a baking dish (9x13-inch).
- Pour undrained peaches into baking dish and dot with 1 stick butter (that was cut into pieces).
- Roll 1 piece of dough out on floured board to a 1/8-inch thick rectangle.
- Cut into 11 x 1-inch strips.
- Arrange strips across peaches in one direction only, spacing them 1-inch apart.
- Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until pastry is beginning to brown.
- While cobbler is baking, roll and cut remaining dough in strips (same as above).
- After cobbler is out of oven, arrange strips on top of peaches to form lattice.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.