Recipe by Karen19
This peach cobbler adapted from The Joy of Cooking and tastes just like mom's (who didn't use a recipe) so it's one of my favorites. Not too sweet. Biscuit-like topping. Great with cold milk poured over all.
- 4 -5 cups fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup sugar (depending on sweetness of peaches)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon vanilla (or almond?)
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Filling: Put peaches and water in 2-qt saucepan. Mix sugar and flour together. Pour over top. Stir together and bring just to a boil over medium heat. When mixture boils, add vanilla and remove from heat. Pour into glass baking dish (8X8 or round equivalent).
- Biscuits: Sift dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and pour wet ingredients in all at once. Stir with a fork till just moistened and pulling away from sides of bowl. Pour out on floured surface and knead 10-15 times. Drop by hand on fruit filling surface.
- Sprinkle 3/4 tsp cinnamon over all and dot with 2 or 3 Tbsp butter.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Enjoy!