Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe I found in an old cookbook I bought my boyfriend at a used goods store. I love this recipe, it is quick and easy and tastes great. I have used prune plums, nectarines, and apricots as well as peaches. It all depends upon what I have available. I tend to add a good dash of cinnamon to the batter because I love the taste.
- 4 medium fresh peaches
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening, melted
- heavy cream, whipped (optional)
- Wash peel and slice peaches.
- Combine next 4 ingredients. Add peaches. Mix well and turn into a 8x8x2-inch pan. Dot with butter.
- Sift together next 4 ingredients. Combine egg and milk and add to dry ingredients along with the melted butter. Mix only until ingredients are blended. (DO NOT OVERBEAT).
- Spread batter evenly over the sliced peaches.
- Bake in a hot oven (425F) for 30 minutes or until browned and baked through to the peaches.
- Let cool, top with whipped cream if desired, and enjoy!
I thinned out the "cake part" by adding some water, I don't think it helped at all because it was very heavy, and a bit dry. The bottom peach layer was very tasty.
I had some peaches in the freezer from last summer that I needed to use up, so thanks to zaar we had a very good dessert. This was very easy and tasty. The cake part was a little thick for our tastes but very good. For people that like more cake than peaches this is perfect. Thanks for a very tasty dessert Chef Gustival!