Recipe by lauralie41
Eat light this summer with a wonderful low fat and low calorie chilled soup. Add whole wheat rolls and a cool drink for a perfect lunch on the patio. Adapted from a popular health and lifestyle websites newsletter.
Top Review by Kasha
The best and easiest pea soup I have ever made. I didn't have celery, so left it out. Didn't garnish with yogurt, used half the quantity of mint, I wouldn't have wanted more. Will make this one again and again.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 scallions, green parts only, cut into 4-inch lengths
- 1 celery rib, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or 3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups fresh peas or 4 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 4 peapods, for garnish
- mint leaf, for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup greek nonfat yogurt, Fage Total non-fat
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot or dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat. Add scallions, celery, and onions, stir until vegetables are wilted, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add broth and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and add peas, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully transfer to bowl of food processor or blender, do this in batches if necessary. Add mint, season to taste with salt and black pepper and puree until smooth. Chill for 1 hour and serve with yogurt in center and garnished with mint leaves and a peapod if desired.