Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is Färsk Ärtsoppa, in Sweden. Serve soup with a sprinkling of croutons or serve with a dab of horseradish-flavored sour cream (mix 1/2 cup sour cream with 2 teaspoons grated horseradish). Makes 6 servings.
- 2 lbs fresh peas, in the pod
- 1 quart water
- 2 small bay leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 2 cups seasoned chicken broth (or 2 cups water and 3 chicken bouillon cubes)
- 1 cup cream
- Wash peas and shell- Put the pods into a large saucepan with water, bay leaf and salt; cook about 45 minutes.
- Drain off juice and discard pods. Pour juice back into the saucepan, add peas and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Force peas through a fine sieve or put into electric blender.
- Melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour and puree, add liquids.
- Simmer, stirring, until smooth- Season with more salt if needed.
- Electric blender: Add butter and flour to peas, turn on motor. Turn off and scrape down a few times if needed. Pour puree back into saucepan, add liquids and simmer 5 minutes or until smooth- Season with salt if needed.