This is something I came up with on a warm late spring evening. The fresh vegetables and herbs and the creamy light sauce made it perfect for sitting on the porch and enjoying each others company. It's important to use the fresh ingredients where indicated, or else the crisp light flavor just won't be there.
- 1 lb penne, cooked as directed on box
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and diced (or fresh, canned is what I always have on hand)
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 6 -8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Cook pasta according to directions on box, drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet melt butter and add olive oil.
- Add in diced garlic, diced green pepper, and parsley. Cook until garlic is soft.
- Add in yellow pepper, smoked sausage. Cook stirring constantly until sausage is warmed through.
- Mix in diced tomatoes, zucchini and salt and pepper to taste, toss well to distribute tomato juices throughout. Cover and simmer until zucchini is soft, stirring occasionally.
- Finally add in basil and lemon juice. Continue to simmer until basil is wilted and all the vegetables are softened.
- Toss with cooked pasta and let set for 5-10 min so that the sauce is semi absorbed by the pasta.