Prep 50 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love the fresh strawberry and blue berry pies, in which the fresh fruit is enfolded in a glistening glaze. Would any other fruit work in this same way, I wondered. Then I found not one, but two, such pies with unusual fruit. One is a fresh pineapple pie (posted) and the other is this one in which fresh orange segments rest in a luscious glaze and just invite you to give it a try.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare dough for a 1-crust pie, adding grated orange zest. Line pie plate with pastry. Prick pastry with fork to prevent puffing during baking. Bake in preheated oven until golden, about 12 minutes; cool.
- Meanwhile, peel oranges and section into segments. Squeeze membrane and reserve juice; you should have about 1 cup. Pour sugar over segments and let stand 1 hour. Drain liquid from segments, add to reserved juice to make 1-1/2 cups (add extra juice if necessary).
- Place juice in a double boiler with salt and cornstarch. Cook until thickened. Add vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- Spread apricot jam on baked pie shell. Add orange segments, spreading over jam. Pour cooled sauce over orange segments. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
- To serve: garnish with toasted coconut.
I almost made this recipe exactly at stated. I really, really dislike making pie crust so I cheated and bought a refrigerated one. I pressed the orange zest into the crust. Other than that I did exactly as the recipe stated. It is labor intensive - and can get a little messy with squeezing oranges - however, it is worth it!!! Do not be in a hurry to make this pie. My sister and I want to rename it The Fresh Orange Breakfast Pie. We at it for breakfast. The only thing I would do different next time - which will be even more labor intensive - is to cut the orange segments in half. It would be a little easier to get the juice out and also I would just prefer smaller pieces in the pie. We accidentally bought 3 huge bags of oranges and were looking for a way to use them up. This was perfect!! Also, I did not top it with coconut - just didn't seem necessary.