Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This jelly is good! For Vegetarian/Vegan option use agar agar.
- 6 large oranges
- 115 g sugar
- 35 g gelatin powder (I use agar agar normally) or 35 g agar-agar (I use agar agar normally)
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- Pour 60 ml of cold water in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the agar agar over the water and leave to soak for around 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the oranges for the juice and thinly pare the rind of one of them.
- Strain the juice and mix it with the sugar, rind and 340 ml of water in a large saucepan Now place the bowl of water which contains the gelatine/ agar agar in a double boiler and stir until the gelatine completely dissolves.
- Bring the contents of the saucepan to a slow boil and stir till the sugar dissolves Reduce the heat and incorporate the gelatine solution too into the boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes or so.
- Strain the liquid jelly into a wetted mould and stir in the rum (if you choose to).
- Refrigerate to set for 1 1/2 hours.
- Dip the outer side of the mould in hot water and turn it onto a plate and shake till the jelly slips out.
- (YOu can cover the mould with the plate and then invert and shake to loosen) Decorate with segments of orange peel.
This jelly worked out well. I used agar which results in a more solid less wobbly version of this recipe. The units are the metric equivalent of common Imperial measurements in this recipe. Definitely worth a go!
Light and refreshing - this made a great dessert after a dinner of Jamaican jerk chicken. I had a few problems with the unfamiliar measurements, but it all worked out fine in the end. I suspect if you have the agar-agar in a fairly smooth soft mixture, it will be fine. I did use agar-agar, which I have not worked with very much. It has a softer, more pudding-like texture than gelatine, which will take me a while to get used to even though I do like it. I served this with some fresh orange and grapefruit segments. Lovely!
I had a huge orange surplus that I needed to take care of so I picked this recipe. So, except for the amount needed for moistening and diluting the gelatin, I used only freshly-squeezed orange juice instead of the water the recipe calls for. It turned out great. I also added the rum but am not sure it made any huge difference since we couldn't really taste it. Maybe because I didn't use much water and the orange flavor was so nice.