Recipe by Girl from India
This jelly is good! For Vegetarian/Vegan option use agar agar.
Top Review by Missy Wombat
This jelly worked out well. I used agar which results in a more solid less wobbly version of this recipe. The units are the metric equivalent of common Imperial measurements in this recipe. Definitely worth a go!
- 6 large oranges
- 115 g sugar
- 35 g gelatin powder (I use agar agar normally) or 35 g agar-agar (I use agar agar normally)
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour 60 ml of cold water in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the agar agar over the water and leave to soak for around 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the oranges for the juice and thinly pare the rind of one of them.
- Strain the juice and mix it with the sugar, rind and 340 ml of water in a large saucepan Now place the bowl of water which contains the gelatine/ agar agar in a double boiler and stir until the gelatine completely dissolves.
- Bring the contents of the saucepan to a slow boil and stir till the sugar dissolves Reduce the heat and incorporate the gelatine solution too into the boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes or so.
- Strain the liquid jelly into a wetted mould and stir in the rum (if you choose to).
- Refrigerate to set for 1 1/2 hours.
- Dip the outer side of the mould in hot water and turn it onto a plate and shake till the jelly slips out.
- (YOu can cover the mould with the plate and then invert and shake to loosen) Decorate with segments of orange peel.