Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a combination of two recipes that I've found online through the years. The initial recipe I had called for using a boxed cake mix but I would prefer a made from scratch cake so I pulled a couple of other recipes and came up with this one that combines them all. This just gives you a sunny orange cake with a wonderful glaze - so nice and light on a summery day.
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 sugar
- 1⁄2 cup non-fat powdered milk
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice (from about 1 medium orange)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, freshly grated (from about 1 medium orange)
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly spray or grease a 12-cup Bundt style pan.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and the non-fat dry milk. (This is your cake mix base. If you want to use a prepared box mix then skip this step and these ingredients and just place the mix in a large mixing bowl.).
- Add to these dry ingredients, the orange juice, canola oil, vanilla and eggs.
- On low speed mix the ingredients for about 1 minute until everything is incorporated and then raise the speed to medium and continue beating for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes more (your batter should be smooth and thick).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 45-50 minutes
- Remove pan from oven and let stand on a wire rack for 20-25 minutes to allow the cake to cool before inverting it on a cake rack to cool completely (approximately 30 minutes more).
- While cake is near finished cooling, prepare the glaze by mixing together the sifted confectioners' sugar, orange juice and orange zest until smooth.
- Place the cake on a serving plate and drizzle the glaze over the top of the cake so it runs down all around the outside of the cake and a bit inside. Let the glaze set up at least 10 minutes before slicing to serve.