Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
A classic from Southern Living.
- 2 medium oranges
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄2 cup pecan pieces
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
Orange Butter Frosting
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- Remove zest from oranges; add orange zest to food processor and process until finely diced.
- Measure 1/4 cup lightly packed zest; reserve remaining zest and orange for other uses.
- Combine 1/4 cup orange zest, raisins, dates, and pecan pieces in food processor container; process until mixture is diced.
- Combine fruit/nut mixture and orange juice in a bowl; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening; gradually add in the sugar, beating well.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one is added.
- In another bowl, combine flour, soda, and salt; add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Stir in fruit mixture.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 25-30 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes; remove cakes from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- To make frosting: cream butter; gradually add in sugar, beating well.
- Add in syrup and fruit juices, beating until smooth.
- Stir in rind.
- Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake.