Fresh Orange Bread Pudding With Meringue Topping
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place the oranges and bread cubes in a 1-quart casserole dish; set aside.
- To make the custard, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan. Blend in egg yolks and 1/4 cup of the milk. mix in remaining milk stir and cook over very low heat until the custard coats metal spoon and is slightly thick (about 10 minutes).
- Add butter, orange peel, and vanilla; pour into casserole over the oranges and bread cubes. Place pan in hot water going 1/2 way up outside of casserole dish and bake at 325°F for 1 1/2 hours or until the pudding is firm in the center.
- Cover with meringue.
- For meringue, beat egg whites until they stand at soft peaks. Gradually beat in the sugar. Add the vanilla and spread over the cooked bread pudding.
- Return the pan to the oven and back into the pan of hot water. Bake 20 minutes or until the meringue is brown. Serve warm.