Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is one of the best bread puddings I have had the pleasure of making or eating.
- 1 cup diced fresh orange section
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread cubes
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place the oranges and bread cubes in a 1-quart casserole dish; set aside.
- To make the custard, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan. Blend in egg yolks and 1/4 cup of the milk. mix in remaining milk stir and cook over very low heat until the custard coats metal spoon and is slightly thick (about 10 minutes).
- Add butter, orange peel, and vanilla; pour into casserole over the oranges and bread cubes. Place pan in hot water going 1/2 way up outside of casserole dish and bake at 325°F for 1 1/2 hours or until the pudding is firm in the center.
- Cover with meringue.
- For meringue, beat egg whites until they stand at soft peaks. Gradually beat in the sugar. Add the vanilla and spread over the cooked bread pudding.
- Return the pan to the oven and back into the pan of hot water. Bake 20 minutes or until the meringue is brown. Serve warm.
an excellent dessert A different but well liked way of doing bread pudding