1/1 Photo of Fresh Orange Bread Pudding With Meringue Topping
2 hrs 10 mins
southern chef in louisiana's Note:
This is one of the best bread puddings I have had the pleasure of making or eating.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup diced fresh orange section
- 1 1/2 cups bread cubes
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Preheat oven to 325°. Place the oranges and bread cubes in a 1-quart casserole dish; set aside.
- 2To make the custard, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan. Blend in egg yolks and 1/4 cup of the milk. mix in remaining milk stir and cook over very low heat until the custard coats metal spoon and is slightly thick (about 10 minutes).
- 3Add butter, orange peel, and vanilla; pour into casserole over the oranges and bread cubes. Place pan in hot water going 1/2 way up outside of casserole dish and bake at 325°F for 1 1/2 hours or until the pudding is firm in the center.
- 4Cover with meringue.
- 5For meringue, beat egg whites until they stand at soft peaks. Gradually beat in the sugar. Add the vanilla and spread over the cooked bread pudding.
- 6Return the pan to the oven and back into the pan of hot water. Bake 20 minutes or until the meringue is brown. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Orange Bread Pudding With Meringue Topping
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.9
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 81.6 mg
- Sodium 234.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 34.0 g
- Protein 5.0 g