Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Tastes as good as sunshine!
Make and share this Fresh Oj and Strawberry Cream Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifterd
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon orange, zest of
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup strawberry puree
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- Bake the Cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. You will need two 8” round cake pans, line w/ parchment paper at the bottom, greased and floured.
- Into a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Make a wide well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Add in the following order, without mixing, the oil, egg yolks, the orange zest and orange juice. With a large wire whisk, beat until smooth. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they hold a stiff peak when the beaters are raised. They should not be beaten until they are dry.
- In three additions, fold about ¾ of the yolk mixture into the whites. Then fold the whites into the remaining yolk mixture. Do not handle any more than necessary.
- Gently pour the batter into the pans. Bake for 30 minutes at 325 degrees F, or until the top springs back when lightly pressed with a fingertip. Cool completely.
- For the whipped cream: whip the cream with the powdered sugar and strawberry puree with the wire whisk until firm.
- Assembly: place between cake layers fresh cut strawberries and cream. Mix fresh strawberries with apricot jam and place on top of cake.
my husband hates strawberries but loves this cake! i put the blended strawberry in the cake itself which made it a little different tasting. i think the recipe called for too much salt--next time i'll use less. other than that this is a great alternative to using a cake mix and jell-o to make a strawberry cake. it's a winner!