Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This also works well with fresh apricots, peaches, apples or plums. Great for afternoon tea or as a special dessert.
- 200 g butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150 g apricot yoghurt or 150 g peach yogurt or 150 g just plain yogurt
- 3 cups fresh nectarines, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 lemon, juice and rind of, grated
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Mix the butter and sugar together in a food processor or large bowl until creamy.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Mix in the yoghurt, nuts, fruit, lemon juice and rind, flour, baking powder and cinnamon, don't overmix, just mix until ingredients are loosely combined.
- Pour into a well-greased and baking-paper lined 20cm cake pan.
- Bake at 180°C for 55-60 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar, and accompanied by ice cream or softly whipped cream.
This recipe is gorgeous - thanks for sharing. I only baked the cake today and have already eaten 2 slices - its soft and so yummy. I didn't use the full amount of nectarines as I only had 2 and I put vinegar in milk because I didn't have any yogurt. I'll definitely be making this again.
If I could give this recipe 6 stars I would, it's like a little bit of heaven! Seriously the best cake I have ever cooked. I followed the recipe to the letter, making sure that the butter was soft, that the butter/sugar mix was creamy, and the eggs were room temp. I didn't add the nuts (not a nut fan) and I used about 1/4 cup of lemon juice. I also used a 20cmx20cm square tin, which worked perfectly. I think it's the yoghurt and cinnamon that makes the taste divine. I thought 55 minutes would be too long, but it's perfect. Eat it warm with whipped cream! Superb!
Wow! We were going to make this nectarines, but they were too far gone to use so I grabbed the BC cherries that I had saved in my freezer and used them instead. Wow again! My 8 yr old dd thought that the batter tasted like cherry pie so she is now calling this the cherry pie cake. Used the plain yogurt as that was what we had and kept everything else the same. So moist and tasty. The cinnamon actually was a really nice taste with the cherries. We'll be saving this recipe and using it again and again....