1 hr 15 mins
This is a Mediterranean style delicious starter. You could serve it some crunchy bread croutons or with just plain, crusty bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg fresh mussels
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 150 ml stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
For tomato sauce
- 1First of all to make the tomato sauce, start off by skinning the tomatoes - put the tomatoes in a bowl and pour boiling water over them and leave it for a minute, then drain and slip the skin off.
- 2Cut them in half and remove the seeds and chop the pulps.
- 3Heat oil over medium heat and add the garlic and saute for a minute or 2 then add in the tomato pulp and season with salt and pepper.
- 4Let it simmer gently until the sauce has reduced and thickened for about 45-60 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 5Towards the end of cooking time, add in the basil leaves, give it one good stir and take it off heat.
- 6To clean the mussels, tip the mussels into a sinkful of cold water and, using a brush, give each one a scrub and pull off the little hairy beards.
- 7Discard any broken mussels and, if there are any still open, give them a sharp tap with a knife to see if they close - if they don't respond, throw them away.
- 8When all the mussels are clean, swirl them around in more cold water to get rid of any last remaining bits of grit.
- 9In a deep cooking pot, saute the garlic in oil then add in the tomato sauce, stock and chopped parsley and bring it to boil.
- 10Add in the mussels and cook the mussels till they are open completely discarding any mussels that do not open - this should take about 5-8 minutes.
- 11Give it a good stir and remove from heat.
- 12Serve immediately garnished with parsley.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Mussels in Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (540 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 562.1
- Calories from Fat 358
- Total Fat 39.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 70.0 mg
- Sodium 729.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 32.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: