Recipe by mersaydees
From Marlena Spieler’s cookbook, Grilled Cheese. She says of this recipe, “This pizza-like piadina is enticing indeed. Thai or Vietnamese basil gives the sandwich a slightly unusual twist; it tastes like the essence of the Mediterranean, and yet, the exotic aroma of Asia combines with the flavors of tomato and Gorgonzola, creating a completely different basil experience.” The recipe calls for “4 piadine or medium flour tortillas (12-inch)”; I’ve requested “piadine” be added as an ingredient, until then, it states the flour tortillas as the primary ingredient. In place of Parmesan cheese, you may use another grating cheese such as Asiago or grana. Serve with a side salad of your choice.
- 4 medium flour tortillas (12-inch)
- 44.37-59.16 ml tomato paste
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1-2 garlic clove, chopped
- 113.39-170.09 g fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 12 leaf Thai basil or 12 leaf vietnamese basil or 12 leaf ordinary basil
- 85.04 g gorgonzola, sliced (or crumbled)
- 29.58-44.37 ml parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 14.79 ml extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Place the piadine on 1 or 2 baking sheets and spread them with a bit of the tomato paste, then layer with a small amount of the tomato, and sprinkle with the garlic. Arrange mozzarella, basil, and Gorgonzola on top, sprinkle with the Parmesan, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Broil, in batches if necessary, until the cheese melts and the sandwiches are sizzling hot. Serve immediately.