Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Marlena Spieler’s cookbook, Grilled Cheese. She says of this recipe, “This pizza-like piadina is enticing indeed. Thai or Vietnamese basil gives the sandwich a slightly unusual twist; it tastes like the essence of the Mediterranean, and yet, the exotic aroma of Asia combines with the flavors of tomato and Gorgonzola, creating a completely different basil experience.” The recipe calls for “4 piadine or medium flour tortillas (12-inch)”; I’ve requested “piadine” be added as an ingredient, until then, it states the flour tortillas as the primary ingredient. In place of Parmesan cheese, you may use another grating cheese such as Asiago or grana. Serve with a side salad of your choice.
- 4 medium flour tortillas (12-inch)
- 3 -4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, chopped
- 4 -6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 12 leaves Thai basil or 12 leaves vietnamese basil or 12 leaves ordinary basil
- 3 ounces gorgonzola, sliced (or crumbled)
- 2 -3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Preheat broiler.
- Place the piadine on 1 or 2 baking sheets and spread them with a bit of the tomato paste, then layer with a small amount of the tomato, and sprinkle with the garlic. Arrange mozzarella, basil, and Gorgonzola on top, sprinkle with the Parmesan, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Broil, in batches if necessary, until the cheese melts and the sandwiches are sizzling hot. Serve immediately.