Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 mins
A lovely light salad from Cooking Light! You’re used to seeing the cheese/tomato/basil combination, but have you had it with couscous before? Delicious! Prep time includes marinating.
- 473.18 ml diced tomatoes
- 177.44 ml diced fresh mozzarella cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 44.37 ml minced shallots
- 9.85 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1.23 ml lemon juice (white balsamic or champagne vinegar okay) or 1.23 ml balsamic vinegar (white balsamic or champagne vinegar okay)
- 2.46 ml salt, to taste
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper or 1.23 ml tricolor pepper, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and minced
- 295.73 ml water
- 236.59 ml uncooked couscous
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh basil
- basil leaves, for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl combine the tomato, mozzarella, shallots, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and garlic, toss well then refrigerate, covered, to marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan bring the water to a boil and gradually stir in the couscous; remove from the stove, cover, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- With a fork, fluff the couscous then let cool.
- Add the cooled couscous and chopped basil to the tomato mixture in the bowl and toss.
- Garnish with whole basil leaves and serve.
- Note: part-skim mozzarella cheese can be substituted.
Fantastic! I skipped the shallots but added chopped avocado. DELICIOUS and SUPER EASY. I'm going to make this again tonight.
A lovely light-but-satisfying summer salad. I added more lemon (1/2 lemon = maybe 1 tablespoon?) and more basil (maybe 1/3 cup rather than 1/4 -- a bunch, at any rate), but we tend to go for stronger flavors. A great way to use our newly-ripened tomatoes!
I used Israeli couscous, cut thc shallots down to 2 tbs, fresh lemon juice, and used a whole clove of garlic, next time I would only use maybe a half. The garlic overwhelms the salad a bit. Other than that I LOVE this recipe. It's hard for me to say if the pepper could be cut down to 1/8tsp because the garlic is so heavy. I can't decide if the heat is from the garlic or the pepper. The flavor is amazing. I love the salad before I even added the couscous. I could eat that alone! Thanks for sharing it's so very good!