Recipe by Julesong
A lovely light salad from Cooking Light! You’re used to seeing the cheese/tomato/basil combination, but have you had it with couscous before? Delicious! Prep time includes marinating.
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup diced fresh mozzarella cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice (white balsamic or champagne vinegar okay) or 1⁄4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (white balsamic or champagne vinegar okay)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or 1⁄4 teaspoon tricolor pepper, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- basil leaves, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl combine the tomato, mozzarella, shallots, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and garlic, toss well then refrigerate, covered, to marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan bring the water to a boil and gradually stir in the couscous; remove from the stove, cover, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- With a fork, fluff the couscous then let cool.
- Add the cooled couscous and chopped basil to the tomato mixture in the bowl and toss.
- Garnish with whole basil leaves and serve.
- Note: part-skim mozzarella cheese can be substituted.