Prep 35 mins
Cook 5 mins
Fresh mozzarella, home-made pasta and a hint of garlic butter or marinara equal heaven in a bowl.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons water
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 26 ounces marinara sauce (optional)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine salt and flour creating a well in the center. Add the slightly beaten eggs and mix. Mixture should form a stiff dough, but the addition of the water may be necessary.
- Lightly flour a surface and knead dough for 5 minutes. (I use the dough hook on my KitchenAid mixer to do all of the above.).
- With a pasta machine or rolling pin, roll the dough 1/8" thickness (very thin, but not too thin to hold the mozzarella.) Cut into 25 small rectangles.
- Brush each rectangle with melted butter. Place one cube of mozzarella into the center of each rectangle. Fold over the long edges and pinch together.
- Pinch the ends together close to the mozzarella and give each end a twist. Each mozzarella packet should look like a rolled up taffy. Set aside until all of the pastas are made.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts of salted water to a boil.
- Once the pastas are ready, boil in batches of 5 caramelles until they float back to the surface (about 3-4 minutes.) Remove to a warmed serving bowl. Complete the cooking and finish pasta with some melted butter and garlic sprinkled with Parmesan OR with some marinara and a sprinkle of fresh basil.