Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious and healthy way to prepare this caprese Italian treat, with tangy & sweet Balsamic glaze!
- 1 1⁄2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (white is ok too)
- 1 frozen pizza dough, ball (available in the freezer section of most grocers)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 large ripe tomatoes or 2 ripe roma tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- Thaw and allow frozen pizza dough to rest.
- Balsamic Glaze: Put 1.5 cups aged balsamic vinegar and sugar in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring. When it becomes syrupy, take off heat and put into another dish.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Once frozen dough thawed and rested, stretch or roll out dough to be about 1/4 thick in an almost rectangle shape.
- Lay on pizza sheet and brush on 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle all of the dough with garlic salt and the parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven for 8 minutes.
- Pull out and poke the dough several times with a fork.
- Put back into the oven for an additional 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Slice fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and chop basil.
- Arrange mozzarella and tomatoes on foccacia and sprinkle with lots of fresh basil. Drizzle remaining olive oil over the top. Use extra virgin or any good olive oil.
- Drizzle with Balsamic glaze and serve with extra balsamic glaze for dipping.
This was really delicious!! I also added tomato basil sauce, I was concerned about adding the sauce along with the balsalmic, but it came good. I'm not much of a cook but very I'm pleased with the outcome.
I took this to our Italian themed Potluck at work and it Was a Big Hit! It was so easy to make on a weeknight. I just followed the recipe as it was. Thank you form me and my co-workers for a GREAT RECIPE!