Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Mincemeat is an all-time favourite seasonal love of mine and I have made this recipe every year, as December rolls around, since the early 1980s. Some people prefer sultana raisins or a mix of light and dark; I like dark Thompsons, so it's fun to experiment.
- 2 medium apples, about 300gr
- 1 lemon
- 946.36 ml raisins, about 525gr
- 177.44 ml fruitcake mix, about 125gr
- 414.03 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml brandy
- 118.29 ml orange marmalade
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 4.92 ml ground nutmeg
- Core apples but do not peel. Chop into small (1/4") chunks. Place into a large bowl.
- Grate peel of lemon and squeeze out juice. Stir peel and juice with apples.
- Stir remaining ingredients into apple mixture until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or 24 hours before using. Mincemeat keeps well in refrigerator for up to a month. Excellent for pies and tarts and other recipes calling for mincemeat.