2 hrs 45 mins
Air Force Mama's Note:
Adapted from The Times Newspaper, Shreveport, LA - June 1998
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 lb pork, diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon patis (fish sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/4 lb shrimp, diced (optional)
- 15 -20 large lettuce leaves
- 1Saute garlic and onion in oil.
- 2Add pork, saute until all the pork fat renders out.
- 3Add water, cover and simmer 10 - 15 minutes.
- 4Season with salt, patis, and pepper.
- 5Add cabbage, stir, and cook an additional 5 - 10 minutes.
- 6Let cool to room temperature.
- 7Egg Wrappers:.
- 8Separate yolks from whites.
- 9Beat egg whites until frothy.
- 10Add yolks and beat enough until is is all blended (don't over mix).
- 11Add cornstarch mixture to the eggs and mix well.
- 12Let stand 5 - 10 minutes for bubbles to settle.
- 13Brush hot skillet with oil (low-medium heat).
- 14Give the egg mixture a quick stir.
- 15Pour roughly 2 tbs of the mixture onto the pan and rotate the pan around to spread out the mixture until its about 7 - 8 inches in diameter.
- 16Cook for about 1 - 2 minutes and then flip and cook the other side for about 1 minute. (Makes 20 wrappers).
- 18Combine sugar, salt (if desired), soy sauce and water in a saucepan.
- 19Bring to a boil.
- 20Add cornstarch solution and stir until sauce has thickened.
- 21Prepare lumpia:.
- 22Place once lettuce leaf in the center of a egg wrapper.
- 23Put roughly about 2 tbs of pork filling onto the lettuce leaf.
- 24Starting at the bottom of the wrapper, slightly fold up the bottom of the wrapper slightly over the filling.
- 25Then take the left side of the wrapper and fold over the filling and continue to roll to the other end to make a nice "roll.".
- 26Cover finished rolls with wax paper until all lumpia are rolled.
- 27Prior to serving, microwave for a few seconds to warm and serve with the brown sauce.
Browse Our Top Filipino Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Lumpia
Serving Size: 1 (80 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 71.4
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 32.6 mg
- Sodium 308.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 3.0 g