Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from The Times Newspaper, Shreveport, LA - June 1998
Make and share this Fresh Lumpia recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄4 lb pork, diced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon patis (fish sauce)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1⁄4 lb shrimp, diced (optional)
- 15 -20 large lettuce leaves
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch (dissolved in 2 tbs water)
- Saute garlic and onion in oil.
- Add pork, saute until all the pork fat renders out.
- Add water, cover and simmer 10 - 15 minutes.
- Season with salt, patis, and pepper.
- Add cabbage, stir, and cook an additional 5 - 10 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Egg Wrappers:.
- Separate yolks from whites.
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add yolks and beat enough until is is all blended (don't over mix).
- Add cornstarch mixture to the eggs and mix well.
- Let stand 5 - 10 minutes for bubbles to settle.
- Brush hot skillet with oil (low-medium heat).
- Give the egg mixture a quick stir.
- Pour roughly 2 tbs of the mixture onto the pan and rotate the pan around to spread out the mixture until its about 7 - 8 inches in diameter.
- Cook for about 1 - 2 minutes and then flip and cook the other side for about 1 minute. (Makes 20 wrappers).
- Combine sugar, salt (if desired), soy sauce and water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add cornstarch solution and stir until sauce has thickened.
- Prepare lumpia:.
- Place once lettuce leaf in the center of a egg wrapper.
- Put roughly about 2 tbs of pork filling onto the lettuce leaf.
- Starting at the bottom of the wrapper, slightly fold up the bottom of the wrapper slightly over the filling.
- Then take the left side of the wrapper and fold over the filling and continue to roll to the other end to make a nice "roll.".
- Cover finished rolls with wax paper until all lumpia are rolled.
- Prior to serving, microwave for a few seconds to warm and serve with the brown sauce.