Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 min
Another recipe from Hawthorne House restaurant in SF. I will use shrimp with these since i cant bring myself to cook a live lobster lol
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) fresh lobsters, about 1-1/2 lbs. cooked
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 small carrot
- 1⁄2 cucumber
- 20 basil leaves
- 20 fresh cilantro stems
- 40 garlic chives
- 20 mint leaves
- 1⁄4 cup toasted peanuts, chopped coarsely
- 15 pieces rice paper sheets
- 1 -4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup peanut oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro
- basil, and
- mint leaf, loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- to taste salt and pepper
- prepare the vinaigrette:.
- Place the egg yolk and water into the workbowl of a food processor and turn it on. Slowly add half of the oil then add the herbs and ginger then puree until the mixture becomes smooth. Add the vinegar then add the remainder of the oil. Finish with the lime juice then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- prepare the rolls:.
- Remove the lobster meat from the shell and dice into 1/2 inch pieces. Keep chilled.
- Peel the carrot and wash the cucumber. Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Cut both the carrot and cucumber into thin julienne and reserve. Prepare the herb leaves by washing and spinning dry.
- Separate, wash and dry the leaves from the lettuce, discarding the dark green outer leaves. You will need one leaf for each roll. Lay the leaves down, concave side up on a clean work surface and assemble the remaining ingredients in each leaf starting with the herbs and finishing with the lobster and peanuts.
- Heat a 5 quart pot of water to a boil and add 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar. Dip a rice wrapper into the water for a second or two then lay out onto a damp towel. After it becomes soft, place the lettuce cup into the center and roll into a cylinder, tucking the ends in before the final roll.
- Chill well then slice the hard ends off and cut each roll into six equal slices. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the top and serve.