Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
This sounds really good -- I haven't made it yet, but the steps are quick and easy. We love key lime pie, and a lime trifle sounds like the next best thing. From a recipe card courtesy of my neighborhood Publix grocery store. Enjoy! Being diabetic, I would also try this with Splenda (instead of sugar), just to see how it turns out. NOTE: Cook/prep time DOES NOT include 2 hour chill time!
- 1⁄3 cup butter (79ml)
- 1 cup sugar (237 ml)
- 2⁄3 cup fresh lime juice (158 ml)
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons lime zest (from about 4 limes, 10 ml)
- 1 (10 ounce) containerthawed whipped topping (low-fat or fat free - 296ml)
- 1 (15 ounce) angel food cake, torn into bite-size pieces (420 g)
- Melt butter in medium saucepan. Blend in sugar. Stir in lime juice and 1/4 cup (59 ml) water. Whisk in egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium-low heat about 18 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Stir in lime peel. Cool completely.
- Place whipped topping in medium bowl. Gently fold in lime mixture.
- Layer one-third of the cake pieces in a trifle dish or clear serving bowl. Top with one-third lime mixture. Repeat layers twice.
- Chill at least 2 hours before serving.
Very tasty, but watch what size Cool Whip you use, mine was only an 8 oz container and the lime taste was somewhat strong. That said, I also used almost 1/3 cup Key Lime juice because I didn't have enough fresh lime juice. I'll use all fresh next time and use enough Cool Whip!! Also, I might add a drop of green food color b/c the color is all similar. Made for ZWT7 Count Dracula and his Hot Bites.