Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a perfect ending to a light summer supper.
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 cups half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon grated lime rind
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- In a large pitcher or mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Pour mixture into the container of a 5-quart electric ice-cream freezer.
- Freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Pack freezer with additional ice and rock salt and let stand 1 hour before serving.
I made this exactly as directed, except I halved it so I could use my cute little Cuisinart ice cream freezer. This was really good. I loved that it was creamy but the lime taste was very evident. Like a dreamsicle only lime-ish. Oh, I did add one drop of green food color so I could tell this from the vanilla ice cream in the freezer. I used a microplane grater for the lime zest, so it was extra fine--almost powdery. I will be making this again! :-D