Prep 25 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Light and creamy! (cooking time is chilling time)
- Juice and grate the zest from the lemons.
- Combine the egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat until thickened.
- Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest. Pour into a double boiler and simmer for 10 minutes, until thickened, whisking constantly. Let stand until cool.
- Beat the egg whites and salt in a chilled mixing bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold into the lemon mixture. Chill for 2 hours.
- Beat the whipping cream in a chilled mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Fold into lemon mixture. Chill until serving time.
- To serve, spoon the mousse into individual dessert bowls.
This was a big hit this evening. I used 1/4 sugar and 3/4 Splenda to lower the sugar hit and it was still rich and wonderful. Made a great dessert to a BBQ pork chop dinner. D and I had ours and once again DS dispatched the rest. Thanks loof for another wonderful treat. :D
Delicious, rich, lemony - enjoyed by all of my family....especislly mu husband. I used two large lemons and my microplane zests super finely. Made exactly as written and perfect as is. With no gelatine or setting agent, this is a make today and eat tonight recipe. Sprinkled some cinnamon lightly on top for presentation. Photo to be posted. Reviewed for Aus/NZ Forum Recipe Swap March 2012
A wonderfully refreshing dessert! I love lemon desserts and this was no exception. We will be enjoying this again. Made for Zaar Stars.