Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
When you're in the mood for lemon meringue pie, try this classic... it's the real thing!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 lemon, grated peel of
- 2 -3 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a saucepan, thoroughly combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Gradually blend in the cold water and lemon juice.
- Stir in the egg yolks.
- Add the butter and boiling water.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon peel and food coloring.
- Pour into baked pie crust.
- Top with Three-Egg Meringue, sealing well at edges.
- Bake at 350>o F for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool for 2 hours before serving.
- THREE-EGG MERINGUE: In a bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until foamy.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
This is a GREAT tasting and beautiful pie! I made 2 for the restaurant where I work last night. I sliced them, and every piece sold in an hour! I made 4 more tonight....:-) Make sure you make the meringue after the filling is complete and on the crusts or it will fall(I didn't use tartar).
This is a fantastic pie! I had never made one before so the first one (a couple days ago) needed some work on the meringue....today I made another one and I want to share my pointers. First off the 1/2 c. fresh lemon squeeze is about 3 regular sized lemons. As for the meringue- I used 4 egg whites for extra meringue and used a metal bowl! Let the whites sit in the bowl and take the chill off to help prevent the liquid that develops under the meringue. Use a whisk beater!! I used a hand held mixer with the whisk attachment. When adding the sugar do it very slowly, when the sugar does not disolve all the way it will cause the meringue to fall. DO NOT PUT IT IN THE FRIDGE until it is cool lol. Also I read that humidity can cause it to fall after it is out of the oven. My second time around was a success. The lemon filling is perfect and to die for!!! I used about a Tbs. of dried lemon peel instead of fresh and it put in at the normal time...tasted great. I'm adding this recipe to my "keepers"! Thanks
I have this pie cooling on my counter top as I'm typing this review. I tasted the filling (as in I licked the pan clean) and it is to die for! This is something that I'll make again for sure. I can't wait until it's cool enough to cut. Thanks for the good recipe.