1 hr 19 mins
This is an impressive and delicious dessert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1For cake, heat oven to 350 degrees; coat 2 (9x2-inch round cake pans with baking spray.
- 2In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- 3In a mixing bowl, beat butter at medium-high speed until creamy.
- 4Add sugar; beat 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- 5Beat in yolks, one at a time.
- 6Beat in lemon zest and juice and vanilla.
- 7On low speed, beat in flour mixture (in fourths) alternately with sour cream (in thirds), until combined.
- 8In a bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites at high speed, until stiff peaks form.
- 9Fold into batter; spread in prepared pans.
- 10Bake 32-34 minutes.
- 11Let cakes cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes; turn cakes out.
- 12Cool completely.
- 13For lemon filling, In saucepan, whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- 14Whisk in water, yolks and lemon juice.
- 15Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil 1 minute.
- 16Remove from heat, whisk in butter until melted and smooth.
- 17Cover surface directly with plastic wrap; let cool to room temperature.
- 18Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; spread filling evenly over top of layer; cover with remaining layer.
- 19For frosting, in a heatproof bowl, mix all ingredients except extracts and coconut.
- 20Using a handheld electric mixer, beat 1 minute.
- 21Place bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure bowl doesn't touch water.
- 22On high speed, beat until stiff, shiny peaks form, 7 minutes.
- 23Remove bowl from heat; add extracts.
- 24Beat 5 minutes, or until frosting is cool.
- 25Frost cake.
- 26Sprinkle with coconut.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Lemon-Coconut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.5
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 132.9 mg
- Sodium 293.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 51.1 g
- Protein 4.9 g