Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 34 mins
This is an impressive and delicious dessert.
Make and share this Fresh Lemon-Coconut Cake recipe from Food.com.
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- For cake, heat oven to 350 degrees; coat 2 (9x2-inch round cake pans with baking spray.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter at medium-high speed until creamy.
- Add sugar; beat 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Beat in yolks, one at a time.
- Beat in lemon zest and juice and vanilla.
- On low speed, beat in flour mixture (in fourths) alternately with sour cream (in thirds), until combined.
- In a bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites at high speed, until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into batter; spread in prepared pans.
- Bake 32-34 minutes.
- Let cakes cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes; turn cakes out.
- Cool completely.
- For lemon filling, In saucepan, whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Whisk in water, yolks and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, whisk in butter until melted and smooth.
- Cover surface directly with plastic wrap; let cool to room temperature.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; spread filling evenly over top of layer; cover with remaining layer.
- For frosting, in a heatproof bowl, mix all ingredients except extracts and coconut.
- Using a handheld electric mixer, beat 1 minute.
- Place bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure bowl doesn't touch water.
- On high speed, beat until stiff, shiny peaks form, 7 minutes.
- Remove bowl from heat; add extracts.
- Beat 5 minutes, or until frosting is cool.
- Frost cake.
- Sprinkle with coconut.