Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
For true lemon-lovers only. VERY TART!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 -4 lemons
- sugar, as needed
- butter, as needed
- Grease 9x12 casserole/cake pan.
- Sift salt and flour together.
- Add shortening and sugar and cut.
- Add beaten egg and water.
- Roll very thin.
- Line pan (bottom/sides) with crust.
- Slice washed lemons (as you use them) into paper-thin slices.
- Cover bottom crust with overlapped slices.
- Sprinkle 1/3 to ½ cup sugar over slices.
- Add butter (in pat-sized pieces) liberally.
- This is a complete layer.
- Add layers until you run out of vertical space or crust.
- Bake in 325°F oven for about an hour or until crust is golden brown.
- Cool and serve with vanilla ice cream.
- It is VERY sour!
Very good. I used store bought pie crust though and rolled it extra thin, as well as zesting and then peeling the lemons. That way the bitter taste of the pith didn't come through. you are right, its TART but yummy. also used brown sugar to sprinkle.
I have been looking for a lemon bar type recipe that is more tart than normal recipes, but I found this one to be bitter. Maybe more sugar would have helped? (I used the maximum amount listed.) It is a pretty dish when it is done and the crust was good. I wish I could figure out how to have it tart without being bitter. Thanks for posting the recipe. I enjoyed trying it.
This is a very good recipe my family loved it. The thing practically disappeared. You definetley have to be lemon lovers.