1/1 Photo of Fresh Lemon Chiffon Cake
1 hr 10 mins
Bowie Girl's Note:
A very light and fresh yummy cake! I made this for a bridal shower and everyone raved. I have been asked so often for the recipe that I decided to post it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 2 cups sifted cake flour (7 1/2 oz)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about three lemons)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 3 egg yolks
- 8 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- lemon curd (use for filling)
- frosting (Your prefrence, I use homemade buttercream with grated lemon rind)
- fresh mint sprig, for garnish (optional)
- fresh lemon wedge, for garnish (optional)
- fresh blueberries, for garnish (optional)
- 1Have frosting ready and at the temperature you like to frost with.
- 2Preheat oven to 320°F.
- 3Prepare cake pans: Coat bottoms of 3 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray. Do not coat sides of the cake pans. Place wax paper on the bottom of the three cake pans and then spray the top of the wax paper with the cooking spray. Dust the wax paper bottom of all three pans with 1 table spoon of flour.
- 4Lightly spoon 2 cups cake flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine 2 cups cake flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk until well combined.
- 5Combine oil, 1/3 cups juice, 3 tablespoons water, 1 teaspoon rind, lemon extract, and egg yokes in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add oil mixture to flour mixture; beat with mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- 6Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of the egg white mixture into flour mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture.
- 7Divide cake batter equally among prepared pans, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through batter with a knife. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minuets or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pans for 10 minuets on a wire rack; remove from pans. Remove wax paper from cake layers. Cool completely on wire racks.
- 8To assemble cake, place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread half of the filling over the cake layer. Top with second cake layer, remaining half of the filling, and third layer. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish with mint, blueberries, and lemon wedges, if desired. Store cake loosely in refrigerator for up to three days. Slice into cake wedges.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Lemon Chiffon Cake
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.3
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 41.5 mg
- Sodium 211.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 21.2 g
- Protein 4.9 g