Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I guess the Polish is coming out in me again! My mom's not so favorite (It's not hers) but I like it!! I've also cooked this slow cooker and stove top. Your choice. And many times cooked for three hours. Makes great left overs! Better the next day!
- 453.59 g fresh kielbasa
- 453.59 g country-style pork ribs
- 88.74 ml apple juice
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 large apple, diced
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2.46 ml garlic salt
- 2.46 ml caraway seed
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 1892.72 ml sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 118.29 ml white wine
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- season with salt and pepper
- Brown kielbasa and pork,set aside.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons fat.
- Add apple juice, onions, carrots, apple, parsley, bay leaves,garlic salt,caraway seeds, and chicken broth; simmer cover for 20 minutes.
- Stir in saurerkrat,wine,sugar,pork ribs and kielbasa that you cut into 1/4 slices.
- Bake, covered,1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and good rye bread& butter.
A very tasty blend of flavors, the ribs pick up a mild flavoring from the sauerkraut that is delicious. I have always used apple and caraway seeds in my sauerkraut, but the carrots were a pleasant discovery adding alot to the flavor to this dish. I always rinse my sauerkraut at least twice before using to prevent it from overpowering the meal. I did that with this dish, and I believe that even those who are not big sauerkraut fans would enjoy this dish.
Nice recipe but the picture shows the dish with smoked sausage which may be confusing to non-Poles. Fresh kielbasa is grey in colour and has a completely different flavour than smoked kielbasa.
I tossed this in the crock pot this morning! We had a wonderful meal this evening!! I love the caraway seeds, but skipped the carrots (I don't know why...just missed them!) I served them with Janet Cristo's Hot & Fast German Potato Salad #141623. Thanks for another great recipe!