Recipe by Dutch Chris
I have been a Beef Jerky Maniak for a couple of years now. The only problem is that beef jerky can only be bought for the dog here in Holland. So I came across a respectable recipe and i made some changes to it to suit my taste.
- 2 lbs very lean beef tenderloin, premier quality
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 5⁄8 cup Japanese soy sauce (kikkoman is the best)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh crushed black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Buy the meat fresh from the butcher, about 2 mm thick and put it in the freezer for 2 1/2 hour.
- Cut away all excess fat,can be done easily now the meat is partly frozen.
- Defrost meat in microwave.
- Combine garlic, soy sauce, pepper, salt, liquid smoke, lemon juice, honey in a plastic container and marinate the meat in it for 12 to 24 hours.
- The next day, put a oven rack on the lowest level and cover it with foil for easy cleaning.
- Also, put another rack on the highest level.
- Preheat oven to 50°C.
- Insert a wooden toothpick through the end of each slice of meat, and suspend each slice from the top rack in the oven, using the toothpick as a support for the slice.
- This way you can easily fit 1 kilogram of meat on one rack.
- Bake at 50°C and leave the oven door open to allow moisture to escape.
- Check the meat after 5 hours.
- It could take up to 8 hours, depending on the thickness of the slices.
- Jerky should bend, and not snap.
- Then it is ready!
- Store in a air-free zip bag.