Prep 0 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Delicious with tomatoes fresh from the garden.
Make and share this Fresh Homemade Tomato Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 10 lbs fresh roma tomatoes
- 1 white onion, minced
- 1 garlic, bulb minced
- olive oil
- fresh basil
- bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. get another large bowl and fill with ice and water. when the pot's boiling, put tomatoes in and watch - you'll notice after about 1-5 min the skin breaking. immediately remove with a slotted spoon and submerge in the ice water. repeat until all the tomatoes have been boiled and chilled.
- dump out the water, put the pot back on the stove and turn to medium low heat. add enough olive oil to the bottom to cover it in a thin film. add garlic and onion, salt, pepper, and oregano to taste after about 4 min - cook until soft, try not to brown the onion and garlic.
- pull the skins off the tomatoes and toss. put the skinless tomatoes into a blender or food processor until liquefied.
- add to the oil and reduce heat to low, cover. stir occasionally and simmer for 3 hours, take off the lid and let simmer uncovered for 1 hours wash basil, rip it up and mix in just before serving.