1/3 Photos of Fresh Homemade Salsa for Canning
2 hrs 45 mins
A unique blend of peppers, onions and cilantro give this homemade pico de gallo type salsa it's deliciously fresh taste. Serve fresh or bottle to preserve.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 30 -40 tomatoes
- 2 lbs onions (1/2 yellow, 1/2 red, I usually add 1-2 additional onions)
- 5 assorted red bell peppers, green bell peppers or 5 yellow bell peppers
- 3 -4 chili peppers
- 2 -3 jalapeno peppers or 2 -3 other hot peppers like serrano peppers, habanera peppers etc
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 4 teaspoons pepper
- 5 tablespoons chopped cilantro, to taste
- 1Wash all jars, lids etc in the dishwasher.
- 2Always wear gloves while preparing salsa!
- 3Prepare tomatoes by soaking tomatoes in boiling water for 2-3 minutes to split and loosen skins. Peel and chop all tomatoes, drain excess juices off in a strainer or colander before adding to extra large bowl. (I half or quarter the tomatoes, then process briefly in a food processor before draining off juices, I like the tomatoes kind of chunky).
- 4Dice or cube all onions and peppers into the same bowl. Add chopped cilantro. (I do all the onions, peppers and cilantro in a food processor - I keep them kind of chunky also).
- 5Once all the vegies are in the bowl, stir in the lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- 6Taste to see if it is as hot as you would like it - if not add 1-2 more hot peppers tasting after each addition. Keep in mind as it sits for a while it will get a little bit hotter.
- 7Fill jars leaving about 3/4 inch at the top. Wipe off tops of the jars before putting lids on. Screw lids tight then turn back about 1/4 turn.
- 8Process in steam canner (not pressure cooker / steamer) or boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
- 9Cool jars.
- 10Before storing, test each jar to be sure it has sealed by pressing down on lid, it should not move.
Browse Our Top Cooking Mixes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cooking Mixes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Homemade Salsa for Canning
Serving Size: 1 (5674 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 85.7
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1324.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 3.3 g