A unique blend of peppers, onions and cilantro give this homemade pico de gallo type salsa it's deliciously fresh taste. Serve fresh or bottle to preserve.
- 30 -40 tomatoes
- 2 lbs onions (1/2 yellow, 1/2 red, I usually add 1-2 additional onions)
- 5 assorted red bell peppers, green bell peppers or 5 yellow bell peppers
- 3 -4 chili peppers
- 2 -3 jalapeno peppers or 2 -3 other hot peppers like serrano peppers, habanera peppers etc
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 4 teaspoons pepper
- 5 tablespoons chopped cilantro, to taste
- Wash all jars, lids etc in the dishwasher.
- Always wear gloves while preparing salsa!
- Prepare tomatoes by soaking tomatoes in boiling water for 2-3 minutes to split and loosen skins. Peel and chop all tomatoes, drain excess juices off in a strainer or colander before adding to extra large bowl. (I half or quarter the tomatoes, then process briefly in a food processor before draining off juices, I like the tomatoes kind of chunky).
- Dice or cube all onions and peppers into the same bowl. Add chopped cilantro. (I do all the onions, peppers and cilantro in a food processor - I keep them kind of chunky also).
- Once all the vegies are in the bowl, stir in the lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Taste to see if it is as hot as you would like it - if not add 1-2 more hot peppers tasting after each addition. Keep in mind as it sits for a while it will get a little bit hotter.
- Fill jars leaving about 3/4 inch at the top. Wipe off tops of the jars before putting lids on. Screw lids tight then turn back about 1/4 turn.
- Process in steam canner (not pressure cooker / steamer) or boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
- Cool jars.
- Before storing, test each jar to be sure it has sealed by pressing down on lid, it should not move.