Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a delicious,spicy,garlicky and easy homemade chorizo.You can use this in any recipe and any way you would use Mexican chorizo from the store.Basically this is an adaptation of the recipe for chorizo off The Homesick Texan blog.I've added more spices according to other recipes I've come across and like the results.I've used freshly ground spices but you can sub pre ground if that's what's convenient.If you have time to, I suggest at least using the fresh cumin-it makes a big difference.
- 4 dried guajillo chilies
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar, preferably raw
- 1⁄4 medium white onion, peeled
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 2 inches section whole canela cinnamon or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 whole cloves or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 lb ground pork
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat.As skillet is heating clean chiles:remove stem and seeds tear into 2 or 3 pieces.
- Working in 2 or 3 batches,briefly toast chiles for about 3-5 seconds on each side,pressing down on the chiles with a metal spatula .It's ok if they are a little scorched in spots but they shouldn't burn -adjust heat if necessary.Place chiles in a small saucepan,cover with hot water and let soak about 30 minutes,covered,Discard water.
- Meanwhile return skillet to the stove over medium low heat.Add cumin seeds and toast,stirring often until a few begin to pop-you should smell them toasting and they should turn slightly darker.
- Transfer cumin seeds to a spice grinder along with cinnamon,cloves and bay leaf(if using).Grind to a fine powder.
- Coarsley chop the onion and place in a blender along with chiles,garlic and vinegar.Blend to a smooth paste.If the mixture is too dry to blend easily in your machine add more vinegar,1 tablespoon at the time, until the consistency is thin enough to blend.
- Mix pork,chile vinegar mix and all spices together.you may cook immediately as you would any chorizo or you may let it sit overnight,refridgerated ,to further develope the flavors.