1/1 Photo of Fresh Herb Stuffed Tomatoes
Found this recipe in AllYou Magazine Sept 2008. Really can't mess this recipe up. I love using Campenelle tomatoes but if they are not available try finding Tomatillo tomatoes. Both of these are sturdy tomatoes that hold up well to stuffing/fillings and give you a good 2-3 bite appetizer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 tomatoes (Campenelle or Tomatillo would work best)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups fresh bread, crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup tomato juice (saved from tomatoes above)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- salt and pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F Grease a 9x13" baking dish.
- 2Cut tops off tomatoes and spoon out the flesh. Place flesh in a sieve and press down lightly to retain juices (you will need 1/4 cup of juice total). Blot insides of tomatoes with a towel to remove excess juices. Season insides with salt and pepper.
- 3Melt butter with 2 tbs of the olive oil in a skillet over LOW heat. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 4Stir in bread crumbs, herbs and Parmesan. Stir in reserved 1/4 cup tomato juices and then the egg.
- 5Stuff tomatoes with breadcrumb mixture. Place tomatoes in prepared baking dish in a single layer.
- 6Drizzle with remaining 2 tbs of olive oil.
- 7Bake for 30 minutes until topping is browned and crisp.
- 8Serve immediately while hot/warm.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Herb Stuffed Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.0
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 41.2 mg
- Sodium 317.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 7.9 g