Recipe by Dwynnie
This is a great savory muffin recipe that I modified from chocolateandzucchini.com. These are a flavorful alternative to a dinner roll and would be great on a picnic or at a bridal shower! Also, feel free to substitute with other herbs! I even "cheated" on a batch and used 2 Tbs of Gourmet Garden Italian herbs--and the muffins still tasted great! (When using Gourmet Garden, I suggest adding it when the pesto is added.) Enjoy!
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup pesto sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a medium-size muffin tin.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt and pepper until frothy.
- Pour in the buttermilk, pesto, and parmesan, and whisk again.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder.
- Sift the flour mixture into the egg mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until incorporated. Don’t overmix the dough; it’s fine if a few lumps remain.
- Add the fresh herbs and goat cheese and stir again to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling them to about two-thirds of their capacity and sprinkle each muffin with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Let cool for a few minutes on the counter and turn out on a rack to cool completely.