Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
- 3⁄4 cup dried navy beans
- 7 cups beef broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 lb stew meat
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 bunch spinach, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups green beans, cut in inch pieces
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup spaghetti, broken into 1 inch pieces
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Bring beans to boil in beef broth.
- Boil for 2 minutes; then let stand 1 hour.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except green beans, zucchini and pasta.
- Cover and simmer until meat and beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- Add green beans, zucchini and pasta.
- Cover and simmer until done, about 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan.