Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
The glaze on this ham has a hint of sweetness and a kick of spice from hot sauce.
- 10 lbs fresh ham, skin intact (shank or butt, bone in or boneless)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup mango chutney
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 -2 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 head garlic, skinned
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 2 lbs new potatoes, halved
- Remove ham from refrigerator and allot to come to room temperature (30 minutes or so). Preheat oven to 450°F Score ham cutting through the skin only, leaving fat intact. Season ham with salt and pepper. Place ham, cut side down, in roasting pan. Roast 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, puree mango chutney, broth and hot sauce in a blender or food processor to make glaze.
- Reduce temperature on oven to 325°F Remove ham from oven and scatter garlic and onions into the pan. Baste ham with some of the glaze. Cover ham with parchment paper and then foil. Bake 3 1/2 hours to 4 1/2 hours, basting occasionally with glaze and pan juices.
- Place potatoes around ham in pan about 45 minutes before it is done; toss to coat. Ham is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 160°F Let rest 20 to 30 minutes before carving. Strain juices and pass with ham.