Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
An amalgam of the standard fresh salsa recipes, but with tweaks for those who have trouble with raw onions and peppers. They are lightly sautéed in order to preserve most of the "raw" taste but more digestible.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 orange bell peppers or 1⁄4 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 small tomatillo, peeled, rinsed, and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 jalapeno, chopped (leave out for mild salsa) (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 large cucumber, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (I wash, remove stems, and freeze when buying, so mine is frozen)
- 1⁄2 mango, chopped (for a sweeter salsa) (optional)
- 2 green onions, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon lime juice or 1⁄2-1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (approx., I add a little at a time until it tastes good to me)
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Sauté onion, peppers, tomatillo, garlic, pepper flakes and ground pepper in olive oil briefly, about 3-5 minutes, remove from heat and cool.
- Add to bowl with remaining ingredients minus salt and avocado.
- Add salt to taste, I try to use just enough to bring out flavors nicely without making it too salty.
- Add avocado just before serving if possible.